Saturday, December 26, 2009

ATV Motor Oil API service label question: can I use SM in place of SG, SH, or SJ?

I have a 2005 Can Am (or Bombardier if you prefer) 400cc Outlander ATV, and the manual says to use oil that ';meets or exceeds the requirements for API service classification SG, SH, or SJ.';





All I can find anywhere is SM. Can I use this? Will the the wet clutch be adversely affected?ATV Motor Oil API service label question: can I use SM in place of SG, SH, or SJ?
Absolutely. SM is the newest classification for oil by the Society of Automotive Engineers. It is what you should use and will exceed all of the previous service ratings. Also make sure, although I'm sure it does, that the oil also contains the identification GF-4, which is the newest ILSAC standards for oil and really the most important part.ATV Motor Oil API service label question: can I use SM in place of SG, SH, or SJ?
I'd suggest caution with motorcycle engines in this regard. SM rated oils have much less Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate (ZDDP), less than 0.08% phosphorous, an anti scuff additive If your motorcycle engine does not have roller tappets/lifters, SM oil lack of ZDDP can cause serious cam wear. Report Abuse

Yes, you can.


Each newer classification meets the requirements of the older ones, plus.


You may use a newer one, but should not go the other way, SF for example.

No comments:

Post a Comment