Saturday, December 26, 2009

Would it be best to go with synthetic oil for the 1000 mile service check on a harley davidson fxd?

Absolutely. My own '07 Ultra was switched to synthetic at the first post break-in service and has had nothing else since then.





While the bike is still under warranty, I'm using the HD synthetic oil. After that it'll be Amsoil or Mobil 1 v-twin.





24000km service perfomed today.Would it be best to go with synthetic oil for the 1000 mile service check on a harley davidson fxd?
I run conventional oil in my GSXR1000 and synthetic in my Buell. The air cooled twins run really hot at times and it seems like cheap insurance. I have used both conventional and synthetic throughout 20 years of riding and never had an oil related problem. I think the key is to change it regularly and never let it get low.





Harley can't void your warranty for using non-harley oil. They can't even void your warranty for not having the service done by them. You just have to document it. It's the law.





I had always run Amsoil in my Buell, but this last change I went with Syn3. I got a lot more top-end noise and it seems to use more. It may just be my imagination, but I think I am going back to Amsoil or Mobil 1. I just stick with Valvoline motorcycle 10-40 for the gixxer. The bike seems to like that just fine.Would it be best to go with synthetic oil for the 1000 mile service check on a harley davidson fxd?
';Synthetic'; means many different things in the oil biz. For example, Canadian oil is all synthetic because it's synthesized from bitumen. But not all of it can be called ';synthetic'; - only polyalphaolefins can be called ';synthetic';. But in the USA, all kinds of oils are called synthetic. A true polyalphaolefin synthetic flows even when really cold, which is what makes for long engine life in cold northern areas. If you live in Florida, it doesn't matter.
You should wait until you have competed your break in period before switching to synthetic lubricant. Synthetic lubricant works so well that it can cause excessive oil usage until the piston rings are seated. Once the break in period is completed, reload with the synthetic.


Good luck!
rick y ??? IF HD did void my warranty because I used a NON-HD Brand of oil they would see a lawsuit that I would win.





I would advise you to be careful what you say about that subject cause I know for a fact there are pending lawsuits against HD


HD Corporate washes their hands and switches the responsibility to the independent dealers.


The major corporations that sell motor oil have deep pockets and they will do anything to protect the reputation of their product
Always use synthetic. I like Amsoil for my air cooled bikes quite a bit, but Lucas is great stuff. Around Houston most of us are using Royal Purple because it gets double the life of just about everything, but the stuff is hard to find just anywhere. (manufactured here). Lucas is the way to go and you can pick it up at any dealer or parts house.
Check with your Harley Dealer.


Check what they say in Writing!


You can't go wrong with choosing Harley Brand Oils.


Otherwise you will void your warranty and also possibly have a long term detrimental effect on your engine.


By The Way: Syn3 is recommended for your engine.
I had heard quite a few good things about synthetic so I converted about two years ago. It does help the bike run a bit cooler and changes only have to be done every 5000 miles instead of 3000. Little more in price but I think its well worth it.
I have a lot of professional bike mechanic buds, and not one will use or recommend full syth in any bike. They all use a blend.
ALWAYS!! use synthetic oils.............
  • hidden myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment